Menara Gardens

Park

The Menara gardens (Arabic: حدائق المنارة‎‎) are botanical gardens located to the west of Marrakech. They were established in the 12th century (c. 1130) by the Almohad Caliphate ruler Abd al-Mu'min.
The name menara derives from the pavilion with its small green pyramid-shaped roof (menzeh), meaning lighthouse. Although there is no actual lighthouse in the gardens, any building that sits at a high elevation is locally known as menara, such as the mosque Menaret manaara. The pavilion was built during the 16th century Saadi dynasty and renovated in 1869 by sultan Abderrahmane of Morocco, who used to stay here in summertime.
The pavilion and basin (an artificial lake) are surrounded by orchards and olive groves. The intention of the basin was to irrigate the surrounding gardens and orchards using a sophisticated system of underground channels called a qanat. The basin is supplied with water thanks to an old hydraulic system, which conveys water from the mountains located approximately 30 km away from Marrakech. It also served as a martial station.

Open now
Openning hours
5:30 - 20:00
Wikipedia

See also

Koutoubia Mosque

1.31 Km From centre

About

Mosque
Dar Si Said

1.94 Km From centre

About

Museum
El Badi Palace

2.25 Km From centre

Palace
Bahia Palace

2.21 Km From centre

Palace
Jemaa El Fna

1.38 Km From centre

Tourism Attraction
Medersa Ben Youssef

1.30 Km From centre

Tourism Attraction
Majorelle Garden

0.85 Km From centre

Park
Jardin de l'Agdal

4.52 Km From centre

Park

Plan your stay in Marrakesh

Pictures Gallery

Reviews

Be the first to add a review of this place :
Click to rate :